[Peace-discuss] Obama favours U.S. troop surge in Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 24 23:11:23 CDT 2008

Obama's position on 'this' has been clear for some time.  But it's been
expressed in such a way that he and the Democrats have been able to eviscerate
the anti-war movement, owing to the false notion that he was an anti-war candidate.

Remember that the largest anti-war demonstrations in human history occurred
before the Bush administration's descent upon Iraq, with more than a million
dead?  Where did that sentiment go?  In fact, it never went away --
three-quarters of he American populace still disapprove of the war. But the
American parody of democracy has made that fact irrelevant.

It testifies to a form of control -- of media, of propaganda, of politics, and
of what is generally thought -- that any 20th-century totalitarianism would
envy, that the Democrats and Obama have been so successful in co-opting and
neutralizing the anti-war movement.

The only answer we have is to begin to build a serious movement in opposition to
the Obama administration and its war policy, in the first place by exposing its
lies -- such as his lie that we are deterring terrorists by killing children in
AfPak.  --CGE