[Peace-discuss] proposed Organizational Endorsement of the Employee Free Choice Act...

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 08:35:50 CDT 2008

John asks: "how would this new act guarantee better enforcement of
anti-discrimination and anti-intimidation protections?"

First, the EFCA would allow workers to have a union essentially as
soon as they have majority support, without going through an NLRB
election, which would remove much of the opportunity for the employer
intimidation campaigns that happen now;

Second, it would strengthen penalties for companies that coerce or
intimidate employees trying to form unions and bargain. Currently, for
example, if you are a worker who is fired for trying to organize a
union - a common occurrence - your remedy is to file a complaint with
the NRLB, which after many years, if your complaint is successful,
will award you back pay. This light penalty is regarded by many
anti-union employers as simply a small cost of keeping unions out;

Third, it would establish mediation and binding arbitration when the
employer and workers cannot agree on a first contract. Currently, many
anti-union employers simply refuse to bargain, even though they are
legally required to do so; this provision would remove the capacity of
employers to delay signing a contract indefinitely.

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A