[Peace-discuss] Liberal opposition to the Employee Free Choice Act

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 27 19:52:24 CDT 2008

"Democracy in Illinois"? The state with the most restrictive ballot-access laws
in the country (with the possible exception of Georgia), owning to sweetheart
gerrymandering by the Republicans and Democrats? (And the state that may even
have stolen the 1960 election?) A state in which organized labor is as
influential as any other?

Has anyone noticed any big expansion of independent unions in Illinois as a
result of that change in Illinois labor law taking place?

[The following is from Michael J. Lotito, Martin F. Payson and James J. LaRocca,
"The Right to Vote Under Attack -- Again," Employment Law 360, Aug. 13, 2008
http://www.jacksonlewis.com/legalupdates/pdf/081308_The_Right_to_Vote_Under_Attack_Law360.pdf]

...Until recently, this proposed law seeking to abridge a worker’s right to vote
has drawn little attention outside the ranks of organized labor, its primary
sponsor. General publicity about EFCA has generated confusion as to whether the
Act totally disenfranchises workers in the union organizing context.

Labor claims that EFCA does not eliminate the secret-ballot union certification
election, a process where employees can decide whether to select a union by a
private, secret-ballot vote.

Proponents of employee rights have challenged organized labor’s contentions.
They believe that the bill effectively eliminates a worker’s right to a secret
vote.

Technically, both sides are correct. Practically, however, labor is completely
in error and its arguments are misleading and duplicitous.

Under existing law, the National Labor Relations Board can hold a secret-ballot
election where 30% or more of workers in an appropriate bargaining unit sign
union “authorization” cards.

However, if a majority of employees in a unit signs authorization cards, the
union may ask the employer for voluntary recognition, without a vote.

Employers seldom voluntarily accept the cards as an accurate reflection of
employee sentiment about union representation because they are unaware of the
circumstances under which workers may have signed the cards. This forces the
union to petition the Board to give employees a secret-ballot vote.

EFCA would amend the law by forbidding the NLRB from holding a secret-ballot
election where more than 50% of employees in a unit sign union authorization
cards. The bill states that if a majority of workers sign union recognition
cards, the NLRB “shall not direct an election but shall certify the” union as
the exclusive bargaining representative for the appropriate unit of employees.

In other words, once a majority of employees (“fifty percent-plus-one”) sign
union authorization cards, the bill eliminates an employee’s right to a
secret-ballot election. It is only where less than 50% of employees in a unit
have signed cards that labor is correct in saying that employees would preserve
their right to a secret ballot.

In reality, unions rarely seek an election where they have less than a majority
of the employees signed up. As candidly stated by Vicki Saporta, former National
Organizing Director for the Teamsters, unless a union has at least 60% of the
workers signed up, its ability to win an NLRB election is less than 50%.

Thus, unions almost always seek to get a strong majority of cards signed by
whatever means possible before requesting a vote. This begs the question: “why
request a vote with the possibility of losing?”

Labor’s solution is do away with the secret-ballot vote once it has obtained a
card majority (no matter what employees may have been told to get them to sign),
which translates to automatic EFCA certification. This vote-free process, which
labor disingenuously calls a “card check election,” is what [organized] labor
means when it refers to “employee free choice”...