[Peace-discuss] What we're supporting

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 28 22:56:37 CDT 2008

	Yes, hate
	10.28.2008
	Haaretz
	By Gideon Levy

My settler colleague, Israel Harel, his community's champion at rolling his
eyes, playing innocent and speaking with a honeyed tongue, is once again
grieving and playing the victim. In a column published here last week ("Have we
become Sodom?" October 23), he complained that the reason for what he termed
destructive criticism of the settlers is hatred. And indeed, Mr. Harel, this
time, you're right: Large segments of Israeli society do indeed hate. But this
is not baseless hatred, not hatred for the sake of hatred, to use your words. It
is hatred for your enterprise. You have earned this hatred honestly - the only
honest thing about your enterprise.

Yes, there are Israelis who do not want to see their countrymen despoiling the
vineyards and burning the fields of poor farmers. Yes, there are Israelis who do
not want to see troops of masked settlers beating elderly shepherds with clubs.
Yes, there are Israelis who do not want to see other Israelis sicking their dogs
on and puncturing the tires of the soldiers who protect them. Yes, there are
Israelis who are embarrassed by the fact that tens of thousands of their fellow
Israelis live on privately owned lands that were robbed, stolen and extorted,
both in broad daylight and under cover of darkness.

And yes, there are Israelis who think that you have brought disaster upon us, a
tragedy that will last for generations. That via your actions, you have brought
wars and bloodshed and the brutalization of society upon us. That if you were
not there, none of us would be there any longer, in a land that is not ours.
That just as we withdrew from occupied South Lebanon - solely because,
fortunately, you were not there - we would also long since have been able to
withdraw from the areas you have occupied. Yes, there are Israelis who hate all
this.

Harel complains about the fact that Israeli society is angry at the settlers as
a collective. Unfortunately, he does not get out enough, for their enterprise is
flourishing. Every class and institution of Israeli society defends the
settlements, finances them from its own pockets, and is a full partner in the
theft, even if some of them are disgusted by it. The collective guilt is
justified: Every settler and every settlement is equal. There are no illegal
outposts and legal settlements - they are all illegal, according to both
international law and universal justice, which have no need of legal
sophistries. There are also no moderate and extremist settlements: No one who
chooses to live in occupied land is a moderate.

And now for the playing innocent part: There are "some young men," Harel writes,
just "a few dozen youths," who attack Arabs. Harel says that he, like most of
his colleagues, "cannot understand" this. He has already told them, during a
"heated discussion," that "this is not my halakha." And he goes on to say that
his fists clench when he sees violence against the elderly in Haifa and Tel Aviv
or gang rapes in Ramat Hasharon. But in Ramat Aviv Gimmel people do not ask what
values were instilled in these youth, Harel writes; there, it is just juvenile
delinquency. Yet when the same thing happens among settlers, the guilt is
collective.

So here is the real difference: Secular society denounces and rejects those who
rob the elderly and rape young girls. The perpetrators are given a fair trial,
they receive lengthy sentences, and both the media and secular society ostracize
them totally.

But what happens in your community? Have you ever heard, Israel, of a single
settler who filed a complaint with the police against another settler over a
rampage against Arabs? After all, you, too, see the rioters every day, on the
road from Ofra - much of whose land, incidentally, is private land that was
stolen. And what do you do when you see those rioters? Have another "heated
discussion"? When we see people who assault the elderly, we call the police. Do
you?

And if such a thing were to happen, how would your aggressive society treat the
"informers"? After all, people who have dared to voice even a hint of
"moderation" in their positions - and we are not even talking about anything as
drastic as a complaint to the police - have been forced to abandon the
settlements where they lived for fear of vengeance. It is not the lawbreakers
who are ostracized in your community, but those who try to denounce them. Look
at what happened to Rabbi Yoel Bin Nun - with no ostracism and no denunciation,
other than laughable lip service. Only on the day when the settlement leadership
starts cooperating with the law enforcement agencies will I believe you that
those "few dozen youths," who are in fact a large and violent army of thousands,
are indeed loathed by you.

You must admit the truth: To you, they are the pioneers who go before the camp,
the ones who stand at the forefront. They are the ones who are realizing what
your generation tried and failed to do in its day. In the deepest recesses of
your souls, your hearts go out to them.

You spoke with Benny Katzover and Elyakim Ha'etzni, and they told you that the
main opposition to the olive harvest stemmed from "security worries"? Had you
not stolen the harvesters' lands, there would be no security risk. And after you
have taken over their lands, you dare to justify the theft of what little
remains to them on the grounds of security - your security only, of course?
Evidently, chutzpah also has no limits.

And finally, the punch line: Harel writes that people like him will soon be
hunkering down in bunkers due to the "unbridled" events in commemoration of
Yitzhak Rabin's assassination. It is not the murder or the events leading up to
it that were unbridled, but the commemorations? It is not we who have all been
in bunkers for 40 years because of you, but you, the robbed Cossacks*? That is
already one sentence too many - perhaps even for your too numerous fans.

_________________

*[Uri Avnery explains the phrase.  --CGE] The Cossacks were settlers in Southern
Russia who were granted land by the Czars in return for their obligation to
defend the border. They were known as fierce and ruthless fighters, and in
Jewish memory they became notorious as the perpetrators of the most abominable
pogroms.

Therefore, there is a lot of bitter irony in the old Jewish adage "a robbed
Cossack". It describes a Cossack who not only causes havoc, murders, rapes and
plunders, but also accuses his victims of robbing him. The perpetrator pretends
to be the victim, the robber pretends to be robbed...

	###