[Peace-discuss] WaPo: McCain compares Rashid Khalidi to "neo-Nazi, " calls him as "PLO spokesman"

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 04:01:21 CDT 2008

Wow. How evil is John McCain? Pretty evil.
---
McCain Calls on LA Times to Release 2003 Khalidi Video
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/29/mccain_calls_on_la_times_to_re.html

Sen. John McCain today compared the director of Columbia University's
Middle East Institute to a "neo-Nazi" and called on the Los Angeles
Times to release a video of a 2003 banquet at which Sen. Barack Obama
talked about the professor, Rashid Khalidi, a leading Palestinian
American scholar and friend of Obama's from Chicago.

"What if there was a tape with John McCain with a neo-Nazi outfit
being held by some media outlet?" McCain asked in an interview with a
Cuban radio station Wednesday morning. "I think the treatment of the
issue would be slightly different."

McCain added another potentially explosive charge Wednesday morning to
a growing flap over the release of the tape provided to the LA Times
by a source on condition they not publish it, alleging that former 60s
radical William Ayers had been at the banquet -- something that has
not been reported by the Times.

"We should know about their relationship," McCain said, referring to
Ayers. "Including, apparently, information that is held by the Los
Angeles Times concerning an event that Mr. Ayers attended with a PLO
spokesman. The Los Angeles Times refuses to make that videotape
public."

Khalidi has denied having been a spokesman for the PLO.

A spokeswoman for McCain said the senator based his allegation about
Ayers on another newspaper article -- a New York Sun report in 2005
that Ayers had been at the same banquet.

The Sun article reported that Ayers had contributed to a commemorative
testimonial book honoring Khalidi but did not specify whether that
book was signed by dinner attendees or assembled beforehand. "A big
farewell dinner was held in their honor by AAAN with a commemorative
book filled with testimonials from their friends and political allies.
These included the left wing anti-war group Not In My Name, the
Electronic Intifada, and the ex-Weatherman domestic terrorists
Bernadine Dohrn and Bill Ayers," authors Sol Stern and Fred Siegel
reported.

McCain has spent weeks trying to make Obama's relationship with Ayers
an issue in the campaign, saying that Obama had not been truthful with
the American people about how close the two are.

The Los Angeles Times wrote in April about the banquet as part of a
broader story examining Obama's relationship with the Palestinian
community in Chicago. The paper issued a statement yesterday saying
their source asked them not to release the video.

"The Los Angeles Times did not publish the videotape because it was
provided to us by a confidential source who did so on the condition
that we not release it," the paper quoted Russ Stanton, editor of the
LA Times, saying. "The Times keeps its promises to sources."

Jamie Gold, the newspaper's readers' representative, said in a
statement: "More than six months ago the Los Angeles Times published a
detailed account of the events shown on the videotape. The Times is
not suppressing anything. Just the opposite -- the L.A. Times brought
the matter to light."

But the existence of the video has created a firestorm among
conservative bloggers, who allege the newspaper is holding the video
back because it contains embarrassing moments that would be damaging
for Obama.

And on Tuesday, McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb called for the Times
to release the tape.

"A major news organization is intentionally suppressing information
that could provide a clearer link between Barack Obama and Rashid
Khalidi," Goldfarb said. "The election is one week away, and it's
unfortunate that the press so obviously favors Barack Obama that this
campaign must publicly request that the Los Angeles Times do its job
-- make information public."

ABC News reported today that "McCain has his own connection to
Khalidi," in that McCain has chaired the International Republican
Institute since 1993, which in 1998 and 1999 funded the Center for
Palestine Research and Studies, founded by the Palestinian scholar.

In the original story about the dinner, the Times wrote the following:

    "It was a celebration of Palestinian culture -- a night of music,
dancing and a dash of politics. Local Arab Americans were bidding
farewell to Rashid Khalidi, an internationally known scholar, critic
of Israel and advocate for Palestinian rights, who was leaving town
for a job in New York.

    "A special tribute came from Khalidi's friend and frequent dinner
companion, the young state Sen. Barack Obama. Speaking to the crowd,
Obama reminisced about meals prepared by Khalidi's wife, Mona, and
conversations that had challenged his thinking.

    "His many talks with the Khalidis, Obama said, had been
"consistent reminders to me of my own blind spots and my own biases...
It's for that reason that I'm hoping that, for many years to come, we
continue that conversation -- a conversation that is necessary not
    just around Mona and Rashid's dinner table," but around "this entire world."

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A