[Peace-discuss] Hey! Our guys could do that...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 1 12:12:20 CDT 2008

[...if, instead of a tiger, it was a naked and bound Iraqi, an Afghan bride, or
(for the old-timers) civilians in a light-bulb factory in Hanoi... --CGE]

	09/01/2008 11:24 AM
	RIGHT TIME, RIGHT PLACE
	Putin Saves TV Crew From Escaped Tiger

Russians are lauding Prime Minister Vladimir Putin after he reportedly saved
scientists and a film crew from a huge escaped tiger in the Russian Far East.
The tiger was no match for the judo champion and former KGB agent with a
tranquilizer rifle.

In an act of bravery that could (almost) be made for TV, Russian Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin saved a Russian film crew from an enormous escaped tiger in
eastern Russia Sunday, adding yet another set of images to his cultivated
portfolio of manliness.

The incident took place in a national park in Russia's Far East, where Putin was
visiting a team of scientists involved in a conservation project to save the
endangered Amur tiger, the world's largest cat, which can reach lengths of 10
feet (three meters) from head to tail.

"We probably came too close to her," said Violetta Sergeyeva, a film director
from Rossiya, Russia's main television station. "She suddenly got loose and
rushed us. A miracle saved us."

That miracle happened to be Putin, who -- clad in camouflage fatigues and desert
combat boots -- availed himself of a tranquilizer rifle and found his mark.
After sedating the beast, Putin went on to assist the scientists as they
measured the tiger's enormous canine fangs and fitted a satellite transmitter
around its neck.

Once done with his Herculean labor, Putin spoke to the film crew about the
conservation efforts: "First of all, we must thank our colleagues -- Americans,
European colleagues -- for being involved with this together with our scientists
during a difficult time for Russia, when no one was paying attention to this."

The Amur tiger, which is native to the region surrounding the Ussuri River, has
recently reached its highest population level after approaching extinction in
the 1940s, according to the environmental group the WWF.

Almost exactly a year ago, another series of photographs from eastern Russia
flooded the media, after then President Putin was captured bearing his muscular
torsowhile fishing and riding horses on vacation in Siberia. In photographs
released exclusively to the Russian media, Putin was also seen brandishing a rifle.

jtw -- with wire reports

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,575548,00.html