[Peace-discuss] The Georgia conflict

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:57:09 CDT 2008

The New York Times, in its reporting today, seems to think that it
might be a very bad idea for the US to re-arm Georgia:
----
Just weeks after Georgia's military collapsed in panic in the face of the
Russian Army, its leaders hope to rebuild and train its armed forces as if
another war with Russia is almost inevitable. Georgia is already drawing up
lists of options, including restoring the military to its prewar strength or
making it a much larger force with more modern equipment, like air-defense
systems, modern antiarmor rockets and night-vision devices.

Officials at the Pentagon, State Department and White House confirmed that the
Bush administration was examining what would be required to rebuild
Georgia's military, but stressed that no decisions had been made. The
choices each pose
difficult foreign policy questions.

Georgia's decision to attack Russian and South Ossetian forces raises
questions about the wisdom of further United States investment in the Georgian
military, which in any case would further alienate Russia.
…
So far the Bush administration has chosen to trumpet its humanitarian efforts
in Georgia, and has avoided publicly discussing efforts to study how best to
rebuild the Georgian military.
…
But interviews with Western military officers who have experience working with
Georgian military forces, including officers in Georgia, Europe and the United
States, suggested that Georgia's military shortfalls were serious and too
difficult to change merely by upgrading equipment.

In the recent war, which was over in days, Georgia's Army fled ahead of the
Russian Army's advance, turning its back and leaving Georgian civilians in an
enemy's path. Its planes did not fly after the first few hours of contact. Its
navy was sunk in the harbor, and its patrol boats were hauled away by Russian
trucks on trailers.

The information to date suggests that from the beginning of the war to its end,
Georgia, which wants to join NATO, fought the war in a manner that undermined
its efforts at presenting itself as a potentially serious military partner or
power.
…
In the field, there is evidence from an extensive set of witnesses that within
30 minutes of Saakashvili's order, Georgia's military began pounding civilian
sections of the city of Tskhinvali, as well as a Russian peacekeeping base
there, with heavy barrages of rocket and artillery fire. The barrages all but
ensured a Russian military response, several diplomats, military officers and
witnesses said.

After the Russian columns arrived through the Roki Tunnel, and the battle swung
quickly into Russia's favor, Georgia said its attack had been necessary to stop
a Russian attack that already had been under way. To date, however, there has
been no independent evidence, beyond Georgia's insistence that its version is
true, that Russian forces were attacking before the Georgian barrages.

Georgia Eager to Rebuild Its Defeated Armed Forces
C. J. Chivers and Thom Shanker, New York Times, September 3, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/world/europe/03georgia.html