[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul in St Paul

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 4 14:18:15 CDT 2008

Bill Kauffman's recent book, "Ain't My America: The Long, Noble History of
Antiwar Conservatism and Middle-American Anti-Imperialism," is I think the best
thing on general American politics since Chomsky's latest -- and, with some
changes in emphasis (and style), the two are remarkably similar.

But, as Chomsky himself points out, the place where these ideas are "most feared
and despised is probably in left liberal intellectual circles."

In a recent interview, Chomsky said, "If you want to see a graphic indication of
this, take a look at one of my favorite journal covers, which is framed and
posted right outside my door. It’s the more or less official journal of left
liberal intellectuals, The American Prospect, and the cover depicts the terrible
circumstances in which they try to survive – the enormous forces that are
virtually destroying them.

"In the picture, two figures are depicted; two faces, sneering and angry. On one
side is Dick Cheney and the Pentagon, on the other side is me. The left liberal
intellectuals are caught between these two huge forces. This depiction is
indicative of the paranoia and concern that there might be some small break in
orthodoxy. The liberal intellectuals (and not just in the United States) are
typically the guardians at the gates: we’ll go this far, but not one millimeter
farther; and it’s terrifying to think that somebody might go a millimeter
farther. This extends throughout the major media too. So, yes, the United States
is a very free country, in fact it’s the freest country in the world. I don’t
think freedom of speech, for example, is protected anywhere in the world as much
as it is here. But it’s a very managed society, it’s a business-run society,
carefully managed, with strict doctrinal requirements and no deviation tolerated
– this would be too dangerous.

"One of the reasons it’s too dangerous is that the political establishment, both
political parties and the political class, is, on many major issues, well to the
right of the population. On health care, for example, which you’ve written about
for decades, the population is to the left of the establishment, and has been so
forever. And the same is true for many other issues. So, permitting issues to be
discussed is threatening, and permitting deviation from a kind of party line is
dangerous and has to be carefully controlled.

"So, yes, this is a very free country, but at the same time there’s a very rigid
ideology."

http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20080718.htm