[Peace-discuss] EWJ and Locke

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 10 14:21:20 CDT 2008

Incidentally, Wayne refers to Locke's premise regarding the source of
property rights when Wayne writes "the idea of personal property rights
starts with you yourself.  All rights start with the idea that you own your
body as an individual, that you are not property of the state."

When Locke extends this to finite resources, however, he is on thin ice. He
gives the example of water in a community well becoming ones property when
one invests ones labor in it by drawing out a bucket of water. But
supposing I walked up to the well with a giant sucking machine, took out
all the water, and claimed that it was my property because I had drawn it
from the well. Clearly, I would get some argument when I tried to sell it
back to the other well users, and rightly so.

Bob