[Peace-discuss] state's ordering half-staff days for fallen soldiers

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 11 14:48:38 CDT 2008

I have wondered why the flags at Illinois buildings have been very frequently at
half-staff and finally think I have the answer.

Evidently, loads of states' governors have decided to order the flags at half-staff
for each death of a soldier from their state.

I first heard about this in a video of Bill Richardson saying that he was getting tired
of lowering his state's flags to half-mast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwFK79wemI

Evidently, "Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by
federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff
as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died. "

-karen medina