[Peace-discuss] The Founders and their Abhorrence Against War

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Sep 12 02:25:05 CDT 2008

from Restoring the Heart of America newsletter, Fairfield, Iowa:

The Founders and their
Abhorrence Against War

September 11 2008

James Madison, the father of the US Constitution, stated:

/If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy. Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is
perhaps the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the
germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed
debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known
instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.  The
loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against
danger, real or imagined, from abroad. /

We are all aware that George Washington issued a warning in his farewell
address against entangling alliances with other nations and cautioned us
explicitly to pursue the opposite of war as our fundamental foreign policy.

If possible, Thomas Jefferson was even more opposed to war as an
instrument of effective policy.   Among the many times he spoke on this
subject he stated:

/"I love peace, and am anxious that we should give the world still
another useful lesson, by showing to them other modes of punishing
injuries than by war, which is as much a punishment to the punisher as
to the sufferer." /

/"War has been avoided from a due sense of the miseries, and the
demoralization it produces, and of the superior blessings of a state of
peace and friendship with all mankind." /

/"Having seen the people of all other nations bowed down to the earth
under the wars and prodigalities of their rulers, I have cherished their
opposites, peace, economy, and riddance of public debt, believing that
these were the high road to public as well as private prosperity and
happiness." /

/"I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind." /

/"War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and
multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses." /

The founders were intimately aware of the corrupting influence of power
and the endless examples in history of rulers taking their nation to war
for improper reasons.  These reasons included personal glory, revenge
against insult or simply a conquest of other lands for the natural
resources that said lands possessed.   It is a truism that the people
fight the wars while the leaders reap the political benefits of conquest.

The concern for the corrupting influence of power was later warned
against by Dwight Eisenhower who stated in his farewell address:

/"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition
of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist." /

Eisenhower's warning was from one who had personal knowledge of the
culture of war given his position as the Supreme Commander of the Allied
forces in Europe during World War II, the first supreme commander of
NATO and our 34^th President.

Today, America has become a nation dominated by a "military industrial
complex."  The/ Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation/, February
20, 2008 reports:

    *

      U.S. military spending accounts for 48 percent, or almost half of
      the world's total military spending.

    *

      U.S. military spending is more than the next 46 highest spending
      countries in the world combined.

In an article entitled The Billions For "Defense" Jeopardize Our Safety
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=KCUZS&m=1fEyIjvupIlNSX&b=BE4wGFl12shZFEAv7d6_dQ>,
Center For Defense Information, March 9, 2000 reported:

/The lion's share of this money is not spent by the Pentagon on
protecting American citizens. It goes to supporting U.S. military
activities, including interventions, throughout the world. Were this
budget and the organization it finances called the "Military
Department," then attitudes might be quite different. Americans are
willing to pay for defense, but they would probably be much less willing
to spend billions of dollars if the money were labeled "Foreign Military
Operations. /

Given where we obviously are today is there any possibility that America
could return to the peace loving nation longed for by the founders?  The
venerable Benjamin Franklin was once quoted as saying: "He who shall
introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity
shall revolutionize the world."  The originator of that primitive
Christianity Jesus of Nazareth (also known as the Prince of Peace) once
said: "Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the
sword shall perish by the sword."  Matthew 26:52.

I can only pray that the American people have the courage to "put thy
sword into its place" and return to the "light upon the hill" that
lights the way for the world to embrace peaceful resolution to its
problems.  Given the absolute dominance the military industrial complex
now has on our government, the impotence of our elected representatives,
and the blatant disregard for constitutional limitations exhibited by
the executive branch, it is only we, the people, who can change the
direction of our nation.

I leave you with another quote from Thomas Jefferson who gave us our
declaration of independence:/
/

/I do not believe war the most certain means of enforcing principles.
Those peaceable coercions which are in the power of every nation, if
undertaken in concert and in time of peace, are more likely to produce
the desired effect. /

Please visit our website
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=KCUZS&m=1fEyIjvupIlNSX&b=WUNesTOxSzzRT8KNQXFikQ>
for more thoughts, and our forum