[Peace-discuss] Bush's War Widens Dangerously

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 19 23:59:18 CDT 2008

When that's true, the reason's not far to seek: its failure to live up to its name.  And the most egregious example is the championing of Obama by many people  of good will who consider themselves anti-war.  It was clear from early on that he wasn't -- Paul Street and others pointed that out -- but the 'sclerotic US anti-war movement' continued to grasp at straws. (Sclerosis makes even grasping difficult.)

After his scenery-chewing insistence on attacking Afghanistan and Pakistan, no one can now seriously contend that Obama's anti-war.

What's primarily necessary for the US anti-war movement to become what it's called, is for it to fend off the extended and sophisticated campaign of co-option by the Democratic party.  If the campaign succeeds, the war goes on under the direction of a party that says it has the approval of the anti-war movement...  --CGE