[Peace-discuss] "Human rights" as an excuse for imperialism...

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 01:35:02 CDT 2008

An important postscript to this story is that at the end of the day,
the OAS and the Carter Center and Jennifer McCoy played a very
important and helpful role, certifying that Chavez won the recall, and
that it was substantially free and fair, marginalizing the loonies in
the opposition that tried to claim fraud - many of whom were so out of
touch with the Venezuelan electorate that they regarded a Chavez
victory as prima facie evidence of fraud.

You don't hear as much about the OAS as you used to. That's in large
measure because it has become "irrelevant" - no longer controlled by
the U.S.