[Peace-discuss] Framing Obama

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Sep 20 20:46:47 CDT 2008

The past doesn't repeat itself -- but it does rhyme, as Mark Twain said.

In 1968, right after the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, the US business world turned against that war, because they thought it was too costly, even though there were proposals within the US government to send in more American troops.

Then LBJ announced he wouldn't be sending any more troops to Vietnam: the Pentagon Papers tell us that, because of the fear of growing unrest in the cities, the government had to end the war -- it wasn't sure that it was going to have enough troops, both to send to Vietnam and to quell the riots on the domestic front.

"...what's past is prologue, what to come / In yours and my discharge."  --CGE