[Peace-discuss] Re: "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail" -- probably Nov 7+8, Channing-Murray

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:56:49 CDT 2008

Stuart wrote: > I'd love for AWARE to help promote this play.

[I agree. "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail" sounds like a great play (see description below), and the fact that a local group will be performing it here says there is hope for the world. -karen medina]

"The play is based on the early life of Henry David Thoreau, leading up to his night spent in a jail in Concord, Massachusetts [because he refused to pay the tax to support the war].

The play opens with Ralph Waldo Emerson, in his old age, recalling the memories of his friend, Henry David Thoreau. The play quickly shifts to Henry's current time in jail because he refused to pay the tax to support the war. In jail, Thoreau meets Bailey, a homeless man falsely accused of arson. After meeting Bailey, Thoreau reflects on his recent past.

The play does not present events in chronological order; rather, the play features Thoreau remembering earlier parts of his life, not necessarily in the order they occurred.

See the wikipedia entry for it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Thoreau_Spent_in_Jail