[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] War on drugs

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 13:38:32 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

The authority of the Supreme Court to declare an act of Congress
> unconstitutional is nowhere mentioned in the Constitution.  It was the
> result of a power-grab by Chief Justice John Marshall, on behalf of the
> property party.

Yes.  That said, though, judicial activism has been responsible for a number
of "great leaps forward", and for the negation of some very bad
legislatively-passed law.  Of course it has worked in reverse also.

> No telling what those crazy members of Congress might do (some of them were
> even elected by [some] people), so you had to have a way of stopping them.
>  As the first Chief Justice of the US put it, "The people who own the
> country ought to govern it."  --CGE

Well, personally I think that while a New England town meeting is a pretty
wonderful thing, I'm not so impressed by Congress on the whole.  I've never
felt that my elected representatives on the federal level represented ME in
the least - maybe because I wasn't affluent enough.  It's not only the
judicial branch that has historically favored the moneyed, propertied
classes.  And it doesn't happen only in America.

You lose some of your intellectual force by protesting too much, methinks.