[Peace-discuss] Limits of allowable debate

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 26 15:32:50 CDT 2008

The excellent Denis Perrin (<http://dennisperrin.blogspot.com/> - note esp. the
video "I Approve This Message"), author of "Savage Mules: The Democrats and
Endless War," on the prospects for tonight's debate.  --CGE]

I keep reading from various liberals how the American people are "outraged" by
McCain's recent tactics, that they're "too smart" to be fooled by such
transparent gimmicks. Yeah. If only. Fact is, I seriously doubt that the
majority of American adults really cares about these "debates," which really
aren't debates, but extensions of campaign propaganda, wrapped inside a very
tightly sealed format of permissible expression. The idea that we'll get a
better sense of where these guys stand after they exchange talking points and
postures is absurd. It's all about style -- who looks better at the podium, and
appears smoother. That's it. The rest of it is a blank slate for bloggers and
journos to project whatever they need onto it.

Dennis