[Peace-discuss] festival of trumpets

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sat Sep 27 13:49:51 CDT 2008

(from Tolstoy's War and Peace, 2nd epilogue-)

What force moves the nations?...

A locomotive is moving. Someone asks: "What moves it?"...

The only conception that can explain the movement of the locomotive is
that of a force commensurate with the movement observed.

The only conception that can explain the movement of the peoples is that
of some force commensurate with the whole movement of the peoples...

...In dealing with humanity's inquiry, the science of history up to now
is like money in circulation- paper money and coin. The biographies and
special national histories are like paper money. They can be used and
can circulate and fulfill their purpose without harm to anyone and even
advantageously, as long as no one asks what is the security behind them.
You need only forget to ask how the will of heroes produces events, and
such histories as Thiers' will be interesting and instructive and may
perhaps even possess a tinge of poetry. But just as doubts of the real
value of paper money arise either because, being easy to make, too much
of it gets made or because people try to exchange it for gold, so also
doubts concerning the real value of such histories arise either because
too many of them are written or because in his simplicity of heart
someone inquires: by what force did Napoleon do this?- that is, wants to
exchange the current paper money for the real gold of actual
comprehension...

...Speaking of the interaction of heat and electricity and of atoms, we
cannot say why this occurs, and we say that it is so because it is
inconceivable otherwise, because it must be so and that it is a law. The
same applies to historical events. Why war and revolution occur we do
not know. We only know that to produce the one or the other action,
people combine in a certain formation in which they all take part, and
we say that this is so because it is unthinkable otherwise, or in other
words that it is a law...

...As with astronomy the difficulty of recognizing the motion of the
earth lay in abandoning the immediate sensation of the earth's fixity
and of the motion of the planets, so in history the difficulty of
recognizing the subjection of personality to the laws of space, time,
and cause lies in renouncing the direct feeling of the independence of
one's own personality. But as in astronomy the new view said: "It is
true that we do not feel the movement of the earth, but by admitting its
immobility we arrive at absurdity, while by admitting its motion (which
we do not feel) we arrive at laws," so also in history the new view
says: "It is true that we are not conscious of our dependence, but by
admitting our free will we arrive at absurdity, while by admitting our
dependence on the external world, on time, and on cause, we arrive at laws."

In the first case it was necessary to renounce the consciousness of an
unreal immobility in space and to recognize a motion we did not feel; in
the present case it is similarly necessary to renounce a freedom that
does not exist, and to recognize a dependence of which we are not conscious.