[Peace-discuss] Re: Fw: Signs of the Time

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 23:45:04 CDT 2008

>From a friend's blog...  plus a link to the Swedish plan, for those of you as confused as I was (and still am, for that matter) about all this bailout business.  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/business/worldbusiness/23krona.html?em
 --Jenifer

--- On Sat, 9/27/08, Roger W  wrote:

In 1977 congress passed the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) to end
the disparity between blacks and whites in mortgage market. At that
time blacks had a hard time getting mortgages, particularly if they
lived in a black area. Banks did not like the CRA. At that time banks
were regulated and usury laws limited interests rates banks could
charge for loans. In the early 1980s the inflation rate was higher
than the interests rates banks could offer on deposits. So people
start pulling money out of banks and savings and loans. Congress
removed the restriction on banks and savings and loans. But it was too
late for the savings and loans. Many of the savings and loans went on
a binge of high risk investing in hopes of striking it rich to save
themselves. The resulting disaster cost US taxpayers $500 billion. It
also nearly ended John McCain’s political career due to his
involvement in the Lincoln Savings and Loan scandal known as the
Keating 5.

Once banks were deregulated they realize that they could use CRA to
make money. By 1995 %5 of the mortgages are subprime loans. When
George Bush became president the federal government started borrowing
huge amounts of money, basically doubling the national dept. This
caused inflationary pressures on the economy. So Alan Greenspan
lowered interests rates to historic lows to fight the inflation caused
by the Bush Administration. When interest rates go down you can
increase the price of a house and keep the cost to buyers the same.
This helped set off the housing bubble. By 2006 about 50% of home-
purchases and refinances were subprime loans.

I have read of cases were loan officers inflates the income, value of
the house and assets of 70 year olds living on Social Security to give
them a 30 year mortgage.  Given the number of subprime loans in 2006
there must have been thousands if not tens of thousands of people in
on this racket. Why didn’t someone notice the problem before banks
started to fail? Where were the regulators? Something tells me that we
will never investigate any of this.

Of course the house bubble burst. One reads about large banks and
investment companies holding $10-$50 billion dollars in subprime
loans. These companies pay extremely large salaries to lots of people
to keep on top of their risk. So how did they end up holding all these
bad loans? In the last N years people on Wall Street have created very
complex financial instruments. The face value of derivative market
alone has been estimated at one quadrillion dollars, which makes the
subprime market small potatoes. If the banks and investment companies
are failing because of losses in the relatively simple subprime market
one loses confidence in their ability to hand these complex financial
instruments.

Perhaps that is why Paulson was asking for $700 billion. One may ask
why $700 billion. Forbes magazine quoted one Treasury official stating
“the number is not based on any data point. We just wanted a big
number.” And when Paulson testified before congress it was clear he
did not have a plan on how to handle the money. He was going to ask
advise from people in the field. No doubt he could hire some people
from Lehman Brothers to help out. To be fair not many people have
experience dealing with this problem. Except of course the Swedish,
which had a similar problem in the early 90s. It took a couple of
weeks before someone in congress, a senator from North Dakota,
suggested that we should follow the Swedish solution.

Congress’ willingness to go along with this plan is surprising. First
of all it comes from the Bush administration, which proved it
competence (or lack of) with its response to Katrina. Secondly $700
Billion is a lot of money. On thursday the conservative republicans
started to rebel against the plan. These are the people that strongly
believe in small government, fiscal responsibility and free markets.
They are also the ones that kept silent as Bush greatly expanded the
federal government, doubled the national debt and in the last month
conducted the largest nationalization of private companies in US
history. The New York Times reports that the house republicans were
motivated to rebel in part because they felt the democrats were
pushing to finalize the plan before McCain could get to Washington and
claim credit. So it looks like we will have to wait until a democrat
is in the White House for these conservative republicans to rediscover
their principles and backbone.

Meanwhile people are still losing houses. Some Black communities are
being really hard hit. I suspect none of the $700 billion will be used
to help them out.

----