[Peace-discuss] Cockburn on deregulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 29 14:10:47 CDT 2008

"By all rights, this last crisis has brought us to the crossroads where
neoliberalism should be buried with a stake through its heart.  We’ve had thirty
years worth of deregulation – the loosening of government supervision. This has
been the neoliberal mantra preached by both major parties, the whole of the
establishment press and almost every university economics department in the
country. It is central to the current disasters. And if you want to identify
symbolic figures in the legislated career of deregulation, there are no more
resplendent culprits than the man at McCain’s elbow, Phil Gramm, and the man
standing at Obama’s elbow at his press conference, Robert Rubin."