[Peace-discuss] Fw: Say NO to abstinence-only funding!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 22:59:32 CDT 2009

--- On Wed, 4/1/09, Democrats.com <activist at democrats.com> wrote:

From: Democrats.com <activist at democrats.com>
Subject: Say NO to abstinence-only funding!
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 12:44 PM

Dear Jenifer,
As President Obama finalizes the details of his fiscal year 2010 budget, please urge him to stop funding abstinence-only programs and direct our scarce public health resources to evidence-based programs that actually work.
Bob Fertik

     because actions speak louder than words

Dear Activist,

SAY NO TO ABSTINENCE-ONLY PROGRAMS!
As President Obama finalizes the details of his fiscal year 2010 budget, urge him to stop funding abstinence-only programs and direct our scarce public health resources to evidence-based programs that actually work.

>>Take Action
We need your help to undo the damage done by the Bush Administration.
In 2008, funding for ineffective and dangerous abstinence-only-until-marriage programs reached $176 million!
As President Obama finalizes the details of his fiscal year 2010 budget, urge him to  stop funding abstinence-only programs and direct our scarce public health resources to evidence-based, comprehensive sex education programs that actually work.

Send a message to the Obama Administration and your elected leaders today!
In order to make responsible and healthy decisions, young people need — and society has a moral obligation to provide — medically accurate, age-appropriate information about sex and sexuality.
Yet, over the past decade, the federal government has allocated more than $1.3 billion for ineffective, dangerous abstinence-only programs that provide students with incomplete, medically inaccurate information that focuses solely on abstinence and provides little or no information about contraception .
President Obama has said that he supports comprehensive sex education programs that promote abstinence and provide information on contraception.
>>Take action. Urge President Obama to stop funding abstinence-only programs and allocate at least $50 million for comprehensive sex education programs.

Sincerely,

Debra L. Ness, President

You are subscribed to Democrats.com Activist Alerts.
If you do not want to receive messages from any Democrats.com partners, click here
To permanently unsubscribe from all Democrats.com lists, click here