[Peace-discuss] Commentaries from the UFPJ list-serve

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 18:31:11 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Zeese
To: ufpj-disc at lists.mayfirst.org
Sent: 4/6/2009 2:15:20 PM
Subject: [Ufpj-disc] So now what?

While 10,000 is a respectful showing at this time when most Americans
are still riding the wave of "hope" we still need to question our
strategy and tactics because they are not working.

I thought a march on Wall Street combining the peace issue with the
economic collapse made a lot of sense.  The March on the Pentagon,
which seems to have brought out a similar number of people, also made
sense.

While I prefer to see the peace movement less divided, I don't think
combining the marches would have made much difference -- if there were
15,000 or 20,000 marching on Wall Street or the Pentagon -- would the
result have changed?

Weekend demonstrations serve their purpose of bringing people of like
mind together and building camaraderie, but the media ignores them and
they have little or no impact on the government.  They help those who
participate to feel good, but they have not worked for more than a
decade.

Sadly, the electoral system no longer works either.  Obama was able to
be defined as the anti-war candidate by the traditional media based on
a speech he made before being elected to the U.S. senate.  The media
ignored his pro-war voting record, the specifics of his plans for a
slow and incomplete withdrawal from Iraq, escalation of Afghanistan,
attacks inside Pakistan and expansion of the U.S. military  and
focused instead on a speech.  Most peace voters voted for him because
we live in a manipulated election system - a system controlled by big
money interests, corporate media and two big business parties.  Many
essentially voted against their interests and others made protest
votes for Nader, McKinney or Barr -- knowing they had no chance of
getting elected.  Neither choice was satisfying or accomplished our
objectives.

We need to develop new strategies and tactics. While we can continue
some of the work we already do, at the center of our efforts need to
be economic and political boycotts and refusal to cooperate with
corrupt systems and institutions.  We need to organize Americans on a
broad scale to make these effective.  It is a major challenge for all
of us and will be a major challenge for Americans.  But, the economy
will continue to worsen, the Afghan escalation will sour and more and
more will be willing to criticize Obama, the two parties and the big
corporate interests that are the men behind the curtain of American
politics. We need to chart a new course and get to work making it a
reality so we can take advantage of opportunities that are coming.

KZ

Response comment:

Namaste Kevin:

Good note, it is refreshing to see somebody acknowledge that it is a
waste of time and resources to continue with the old decrepit strategy
of shouting in empty streets with numbers that are not significant in
a country as big as this, even a million people would not be
significant. One march a year for the purpose you stated which is
camaraderie and feeling good would be enough, and more significant if
it is in a special date like Sept. 21 the International Day of Peace,
or Gandhi's birthday, or MLK's anniversary etc.

You are right we voted for Mc Kinney, just for the sake of making a
statement.Your idea of "economic and political boycotts and refusal to
cooperate with corrupt systems and institutions" sounds very good we
worked on it very hard last year with a very active and committed
group but again wasn't large enough and the impact that was not that
significant. It is definitively a very powerful tool to obtain results
but again it has to be preceded but significant education and
acquiring the mass necessary to attain the impact. It is easier to
implement because it doesn't require much effort form the actors, like
mobilizing to another city an spending a lot of money travelling and
sometimes missing work etc.

The massive education campaign is key. In Venezuela they were able to
eradicate analphabetism in three months, somebody that had been going
on for decades. They used the Cuban system that has produced similar
results in Bolivia. That is the kind of campaign that is necessary,
otherwise we will be facing the same results. We have to remember that
this is the most powerful empire on earth at the moment and probably
the most powerful in history, this is not an ordinary struggle and
people need to realize that.

We have been working on economic alternatives since 2001 and have a
pretty good package, last Thursday we had a presentation at the FOR of
D.C.,.and was very well received. Of course we have to adapt it for
different audiences, but the bottom line remains the same. Besides
there are many other economic alternatives being develo9ped and there
are wonderful people doing beautiful things, which is another
important component of the overall strategy. Screaming to tell
somebody what to do doesn't take us anywhere, if we can demonstrate
that we can deliver and come up with solutions that we can implement
will give credibility and devel0p trust that is what is needed.
mainstream people are not going to bother otherwise, why would they
side with somebody that all they do is to cry and complain when the
other side is running the show and providing what they need.

Sorry to insist on this aspect but to challenge the empire strong
alliances are necessary, the indigenous people all over the world are
really presenting a good battle, paying with their lives and
tremendous sacrifices, but there is always a price to pay, and unless
people are willing to do that, not much will be accomplished, and it
boils down to coffee shop conversations and posturing. We are not
suggesting a violent revolution or any form of physical violence, that
is why the boycott idea is very appealing, it could be effective and
swift especially under the present circumstances.