[Peace-discuss] David Swanson: Teabag THIS!/party in Champaign, 4/15

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 12 13:37:43 CDT 2009

Apparently misattributed to Lincoln.  The closest he comes to saying something
similar is the 1861 State of the Union address (a quite interesting economic
analysis of the Civil War).

The author seems to be William J. H. Boetcker (1873-1962), "an American
religious leader and influential public speaker ... An outspoken political
conservative, Rev. Boetcker is perhaps best remembered for his authorship of a
pamphlet entitled The Ten Cannots. Originally published in 1916, it is often
misattributed to Abraham Lincoln. The error apparently stems from a leaflet
printed in 1942 by a conservative political organization called the Committee
for Constitutional Government. The leaflet bore the title 'Lincoln on
Limitations' and contained some genuine Lincoln quotations on one side and the
'Ten Cannots' on the other, with the attributions juxtaposed. The mistake of
crediting Lincoln for having been the source of 'The Ten Cannots' has been
repeated many times since, most notably by Ronald Reagan in a speech he gave at
the 1992 Republican convention in Houston." [Wikipedia]