[Peace-discuss] FW: Where do I sign up?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 20:57:50 CDT 2009

It's a great idea in principle, but the numbers are too high. 40
million times 1 million is 40 trillion, and that's not cheaper than
the bailout; it's about three times the size of the U.S. economy.

Here's a revision in the spirit of the suggestion.

Say the US labor force is 100 million. (It's somewhat higher.) Say
that we're trying to deal with 10% unemployment (we're not there yet,
but we're headed in that direction, and if you count unmeasured
unemployment, we may already be there.) Let's say "full employment" is
4% unemployment (of course it's not true, but people do say that, and
by U.S. standards, 4% is a very low unemployment rate.) So we need to
create 6 million jobs to get to 4% unemployment.

So, in the spirit of the suggestion, let's give a "severance deal" to
6 million people, and let the severance deal be a lump sum payment of
$100,000, with the stipulation that if they're underwater on their
mortgage, they have to use it to pay the mortgage, and otherwise, they
have to buy a new ecofriendly American car.

That would cost $600 billion. And that *would* be cheaper than the bailout.