[Fwd: [Peace-discuss] Fw: local tea party]

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:34:44 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM, E. Wayne Johnson <ewj at pigs.ag> wrote:

 The tea party thing started up again 16 December 2007 in Boston with group
> of Ron Paul backers
> who reorganized as the "Committees of Safety" in July 2008 and had a major
> meeting
> in Boston Fanueil Hall on 14 December 2008.
>
> The present round of TeaParties got started in Seattle by
> conservative-libertarian blogger LibertyBelle who organized a
> President's day protest of the "Stimulus" bill on 16 Feb 2009.  It was at
> this point that Michelle Malkin picked up on
> the Seattle Tea Party and she and others started publicizing it.  There was
> another anti-stimulus protest in Mesa AZ a couple of
> days later, and then Rick Santelli's rant from Chicago, calling for a
> Chicago Tea Party.  Obama's press secretary Gibbs(?) attacked
> Santelli personally which activated the opposition.  The use of Twitter and
> Facebook brought together people from different
> ideological backgrounds, libertarian, conservative, paleocon, anarchist,
> etc.
>
> There was a significant turnout for several "teaparties" at different
> locations on 27 Feb 09 coinciding with the CPAC in WDC.
>
> There are presently several different groups organizing nation-wide
> teaparties for 15 April 09.

Well, all the ones I've heard anything about have involved
conservatives/libertarians who simply don't want to pay taxes.  I saw photos
of the Mesa, AZ protest, and with only one exception the signs were all
profoundly ignorant.  Example:  "President Obama, where's my big-screen
plasma TV?"  Rick Santelli is certainly someone I wouldn't want to be
associated with in any way.

In sum, when one group wants no stimulus of any kind, while another group
recognizes the need for a stimulus but isn't happy with the way in which the
stimulus has been handled to date, I fail to see how the two groups could
meaningfully do a coordinated protest.

John