[Peace-discuss] Re: [sf-core] FW: Where do I sign up?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue Apr 14 11:17:04 CDT 2009

David,

Although the idea addressed  only employed  persons and did not cover those
who might be unemployed, it is erroneous to assume that everyone who reaches
the age of 62 or even 65 is eligible for SS or Medicare or, even if they
should be eligible, they would receive anywhere near enough to be able to
survive.  There are many - like myself- who are short the required 40
credits needed to be eligible.  Moreover, there are many whose working
incomes were not significantly high enough to get anything more than the
minimum amount of social security, which in most cases barely covers the
cost of a weeks food for a single person.

The problem with your scenario is that once the individual has accepted the
severance money, they  would be unemployed; and unless they went out and got
a new job replacing the one they just left, they would not be earning any
credits toward SS nor would they be building up their SS deposit so as to be
able to get the maximum SS benefit when they reach the retirement age, which
I believe is now higher than 65 with 62 being early retirement at reduced
benefits.  This would mean that the stimulus money would not result in
creating additional employment by removing older workers from the workforce
and opening jobs for younger workers  since the older workers would need to
find jobs to earn SS credits and build up their SS deposits to get better SS
benefits and therefore would not be leaving the work force.  Unemployment
would still remain high.  If indeed they did actually leave the work force,
then they might not be able to get SS when they reach retirement age  so the
stimulus money would have to stretch to cover the retirement years after 62,
65, or whatever and that might be another 20 or 30 years.  Itf SS is changed
to enable them to be eligible for even minimum benefits, it would break the
SS system faster than it is now predicted to collapse.