[Peace-discuss] Mr. President, May I Also Travel to Cuba?

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Apr 15 18:15:34 CDT 2009

My great-grandfather Larkin Anderson Barker visited Cuba in the 1950's
when he was in his 70's.  Following
a short dispute with his wife Victoria Magnolia (Hall) Barker, in which
he said "I'm going to Cuba" and she
said "No, you're not", he said "Yes I am",  got his hat and drove his
1951 Ford to Florida and took a boat to Cuba.  While he
was there he bought a loudly bright orange-fuchsia shirt which my
great-grandmother would not permit to hang in her house.
I remember that shirt hanging out in the washhouse at my grandmother's
for several years and I don't recall anyone ever
wearing it.

***

One benefit of normalized relations with Cuba might be better Coca-Cola
if we can get Sugar from Cuba and
use that instead of the yucky high-fructose corn syrup that they say we
can't detect.