[Peace-discuss] Support Matthis Chiroux!--please forward

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 17:27:12 CDT 2009

please forward widely...

“Obama or No-Bama, the military must cease punishing
soldiers of conscience, and we will demonstrate to them why!”

-Sgt. Matthis Chiroux

Support IVAW member Matthis Chiroux as he puts the Iraq war on trial at his administrative discharge board hearing
near St. Louis!

Tuesday, April 21st starting at 8:30am

Rally starting at
8:30am outside of the hearing at the Army Human Resources Command, 1 Reserve
Way in Overland, Missouri, just outside of St. Louis
Winter Soldier
Hearing at 5:30pm at the St. Louis Friends Meeting, 1001 Park Ave in Downtown
St. Louis

Details and Background Info:

On Tuesday April 21st an Army administrative
discharge board will hear the case of Sgt. Matthis Chiroux, an Individual Ready
Reservist (IRR) who last summer publicly refused activation orders in support
of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  The board
will convene at 9am at the Army Human Resources Command, 1 Reserve Way in
Overland, Missouri, just outside of St. Louis.
IVAW members and supporters will rally outside the hearing starting at
8:30am.

Although Chiroux is voluntary attending this hearing, all
other IRR members who have refused activation have not had any disciplinary
actions taken against them by the military other then receiving a General or
Other Than Honorable discharge from the IRR.
This discharge has no effect on benefits like the GI Bill that IRR
members earned through their service while on active duty.  Service members who have questions about the
IRR can click here or
contact the GI Rights Hotline at 877-447-4487.

Chiroux, a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War, refused
to participate in what he described as "an illegal and immoral
occupation" May 15th, 2008, in Washington D.C., after nine other veterans
testified to Members of the U.S. Congress about abuses they experienced during
deployments to Iraq. Chiroux also vowed to remain public in the U.S. to defend
himself from any charges brought against him by the military.

"My resistance as a noncommissioned officer to this
abhorrent occupation is just as legitimate now as it was last year," said
Chiroux, adding, "Soldiers have a duty to adhere to the international laws
of war described as supreme in Art. 6 Para. 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which
we swear to abide by before the orders of any superior, including our former or
current president."

Following Chiroux's refusal to activate, the military did
not contact him until after he and 10 other IVAW members marched on the final
presidential debate Oct. 15, 2008, in Hempstead, N.Y. demanding to question
then Senators Obama and McCain regarding their war policies and plans to care
for returning veterans. After the veterans were brutalized and arrested by
police, (one suffered a fractured skull and is currently suing the police for
damages) the Army initiated an administrative separation process for
“misconduct” as a result of Chiroux’s refusal to activate.

"I go now to St. Louis to honor my promises and
convictions," said Chiroux. "Obama or No-Bama, the military must
cease punishing soldiers of conscience, and we will demonstrate to them
why."

Following the hearing, Chiroux and other IVAW members will
testify about their military experiences that led them all to resist in
different capacities the U.S.'s Overseas Contingency Operation (formerly the
Global War on Terror).  The event will
start at 5:30pm, and will take place at the St. Louis Friends Meeting, 1001 Park Ave in
Downtown St. Louis.  Click here for directions.

Click here for more background information.

Central Illinois Iraq Veterans Against the War:

ivaw.champaign at gmail.com
facebook: Central Illinois
ivaw.org