[Peace-discuss] a reprehensible column regarding the CIA protest on campus

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 17 17:39:43 CDT 2009

>From the DI's Remy Soni  today. I hope CAN/IVAW/ISO will respond with a
letter to the editor.

*****************
I am all for people voicing their opinions about a particular topic of
interest, especially one that fills them with enough passion and zeal to
ignite a burning fire in their hearts. Protests frequently fall into this
description. However, I was somewhat shocked when I found out about the
eight students that protested outside a CIA information session at the
Business Instructional Facility last week. Although this is the third year
that they've pulled a stunt like this, what's disappointing is that this
is the first time that the session has been ended prematurely.

I'm glad that these brave protesters have strong feelings about political
and social issues that affect the world, but there are better outlets for
doing this, such as: being an opinions columnist for the Daily Illini. The
fact that an information session had to be shut down is appalling because
it shows that these students, whether right or wrong in their views,
disrupted the informational process. We live in a time when jobs with
private companies are getting harder and harder to get, and fortunately,
opportunities with the government are increasing greatly. By their
demonstration to the CIA representatives, these protestors are basically
saying, "No one wants you here." Is this the kind of a message we want to
be sent from the University of Illinois to the CIA and other government
organizations trying to offer us career opportunities?

Maybe CIA recruiters will not consider Illinois as a candidate for
recruitment just because of one bad experience. Maybe, to them, this
incident is representative of the University as a whole. As a result,
maybe some students will now see the three protesting organizations as
hostile and unfriendly.

Don't organizations that look out for the best interests of our country
and citizens deserve our respect? Wearing grim reaper costumes and
dressing up like tortured prisoners honestly does not seem like a serious
way to have a message of protest heard, nor is it very appropriate for
this particular setting and occasion.

As one of the protestors pointed out, our University's motto is "Labor and
Learning," which he didn't believe represented the CIA's desire to
overthrow governments. First off, I think "Labor and Learning" applies to
every aspect of the University, no matter what you study or decide to do
with your degree, including finding a position in the CIA. The motto
speaks to our efforts as students to work hard and become better educated.
Secondly, not everyone in the CIA is an evil three-headed demon trying to
destroy the rest of the world for America's benefit. Yes, friends, the CIA
does also come to campuses to recruit for many minor departmental
positions that don't necessarily make any decisions to overthrow the
dictator of the week.

I'm not necessarily trying to defend the CIA because there certainly are a
great deal of objectionable decisions that have been made over the course
of the organization's history, but I am defending the fact that college
students should be able to pursue any of their dreams and goals without
the threat of a few trying to take away their chance to gain valuable
information.

I somewhat echo the sentiments of one of the students who went to the
session, saying that the protestors should realize that it's because of
the CIA and government that they can peaceably demonstrate. Although I
believe this to be true, I do respect the opinions of these eight
students. For all I care, they can go through their entire lives and
dislike the CIA; however, they do need to find other methods of
expression. They can write about their feelings, make a film, or even
bring in a group or speaker that stands in opposition to particular CIA
practices. Just remember to have just a little bit of respect.

Remy is a junior in communication and English.