[Peace-discuss] Admin's real position on Cuba

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 20 14:18:43 CDT 2009

[And again...]

	The New York Times
	April 21, 2009
	In Shift, Obama Doesn’t Plan to Reopen Nafta Talks
	By BRIAN KNOWLTON

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration said on Monday that it had no plans to
reopen negotiations on the North American Free Trade Agreement to revise its
labor and environmental provisions, as then-Senator Barack Obama promised to do
during his presidential campaign.

“The president has said we will look at all of our options, but I think they can
be addressed without having to reopen the agreement,” said Ronald Kirk, the
United States trade representative.

Mr. Kirk spoke in a conference call with reporters after returning from the
Summit of the Americas in Trinidad over the weekend. He said President Obama
conferred there with the leaders of Mexico and Canada — the other parties to the
free trade agreement — and “they are all of the mind we should look for
opportunities to strengthen Nafta.”

Though a formal review of the pact has yet to be completed, Mr. Kirk noted, both
Mr. Obama and President Felipe Calderón of Mexico have said that “they don’t
believe we have to reopen the agreement now.”

In particular, Mexico, whose exports have grown hugely since the agreement was
ratified in 1992, has little interest in such a renegotiation.

Mr. Obama was not the only candidate for president who promised during the
campaign to renegotiate the accord, a politically popular position in some
electorally important Midwestern states that have lost thousands of
manufacturing jobs. His chief Democratic rival, Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is
now secretary of state, did so as well.

Thea Lee, the policy director for the A.F.L.-C.I.O., said that her organization
would have preferred “more definitive” language about labor concerns, but that
it was understandable for a new administration to start its review with a less
confrontational approach.

Since the election, neither the president nor the secretary of state has said
much about trying to move Nafta’s side agreements on labor and the environment —
which are subject to limited enforcement — into the main part of the trade pact,
a potentially tangled and protracted process.

Mr. Kirk, the former mayor of Dallas, who is known as a strong advocate of free
trade, said that the administration also planned rapid reviews of pending
agreements with Colombia and Panama.

He said that Colombia had made “remarkable progress” in reducing violence —
attacks against labor advocates had been a crucial sticking point — but that
other issues remained to be resolved, and he promised to consult intensively
with Congress on the matter.

The Bush administration signed the agreement with Colombia in November 2006. But
Congressional Democrats and American labor groups say they want the Colombian
government to do more to stop antilabor violence and hold perpetrators
accountable. Mr. Obama said similar things during the campaign.

Regarding Panama, Mr. Kirk said that differences on labor standards and the
question of Panama “possibly being a tax haven,” needed resolution. President
Obama and Mr. Kirk met with leaders of Panama and Colombia during the Trinidad
summit meeting.