[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Public Square advert for 4/30 Panel with Paul Street

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 23 13:17:24 CDT 2009

I'm afraid this panel will be regarded as observing and attempting to enforce
the limits of allowable debate. There are no AWARE members; fifty percent of it
are academic political scientists, a group thoroughly vetted for conventional
opinions.

Much more seriously, it excludes anti-war opinion from both the right and the
left.  On the one side, the position of Chomsky, Cockburn, and the Black Agenda
Report is unrepresented.  On the other, that of Ron Paul, Bill Kauffman, and
Antiwar.com is absent.

One may argue that Paul Street's position is that of the first group, but the
panel is certainly a timorous corrective to that.  The advertising even promotes
a sanitizing time barrier between Street's talk and that of the panel.

One shouldn't be surprised. "AWARE Presents" ran a panel on Israel two years ago
that was equally subservient to the narrow limits of received academic opinion
(with one lone outsider as an example of what we used to call "repressive
tolerance"). AWARE members with dissenting views weren't included.

Perhaps the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort should put together a program critical
in principle -- and not just "pragmatically" -- of the administration's efforts
to kill people in the Middle East and restore the fortunes of the American elite.