[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Public Square advert for 4/30 Panel with Paul Street

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 23 18:45:32 CDT 2009

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the
spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that
spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives
people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the
presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the
range of the debate. " ---Noam Chomsky

For all Mort's fulminations, he can't escape the fact that that's exactly what
he's done.  By excluding radical and (paleo)conservative anti-war views from his
panel (not for the first time), he is "strictly limiting the spectrum of
acceptable opinion, but allowing very lively debate within that spectrum" --
with the results Chomsky describes.  No one who's followed the debates over
"framing" Obama within AWARE will be surprised.