[Peace-discuss] An anti-war effort?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 23 20:37:36 CDT 2009

[Maybe we should organize a group to oppose America's killing people in the
Middle East (even if Barack Obama is ordering it).  We could begin by working to
stop this $83.4 billion.  Why leave it to tea-party people to oppose it? --CGE]

	April 24, 2009
	Democrats Have Qualms Over War in Afghanistan
	By CARL HULSE

WASHINGTON — Congressional Democrats are voicing increased concern about the
Obama administration’s plans to escalate military involvement in Afghanistan and
to try to stabilize the rapid deterioration in Pakistan, complicating the push
by the White House for $83.4 billion in war spending and other aid.

“I’ve got the sinking feeling we are getting sucked into something we will never
get out of,” said Representative Jim McGovern, Democrat of Massachusetts.

The sentiment is increasingly echoed in both the House and the Senate. While it
hardly signals that Congress is about to pull the plug on the war — leaders
there are confident of a bipartisan vote to approve the administration’s request
— it shows that even with a Democrat as commander in chief, his party’s
longstanding qualms over the course of the war remain.

Indeed, the Obama administration may have a harder time than the Bush
administration in resisting Congressional calls for some kind of strings
attached to the spending, whether in the form of measurements for success, or
something even more restrictive, if still undefined.

Even Representative David R. Obey, a Wisconsin Democrat who as chairman of the
Appropriations Committee will have to shepherd the money through the House, said
Thursday that he was uncertain what his ultimate position would be.

“I frankly don’t know what I’m going to do on your supplemental request,” Mr.
Obey told Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at a hearing. “I’m very
concerned that it is going to wind up with us stuck in a problem that nobody
knows how to get out of.”

Lawmakers cannot blame President Obama for seeking midyear supplemental money
for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, which were not fully paid for before he
took office, but they are worried about what lies ahead.

Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, a senior Democrat on the Foreign Relations
Committee, said he was worried that the administration’s “strategy regarding
Afghanistan and Pakistan does not adequately address the problems we face in
Pakistan and instead has the potential to escalate, rather than diminish, this
threat.”

Administration officials have held briefings and supplied position papers for
lawmakers, but their testimony so far has not been very encouraging, and the
headlines from Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan have been alarming.

The top commander in the region, Gen. David H. Petraeus, who has strong
credibility on Capitol Hill, is said to have provided lawmakers with a sober
assessment of the military situation in Afghanistan in a closed meeting on
Wednesday and is expected to repeat some of those observations in a public
hearing set for Friday.

Congressional leaders say they realize some lawmakers are anxious about Mr.
Obama’s proposal to commit at least 21,000 more troops to Afghanistan, given the
history of other military failures in the region.

“We will have concerns, but we will have to work through them with people as to
where we are going in Afghanistan,” said the House majority leader, Steny H.
Hoyer, Democrat of Maryland.

The administration has just begun working with Congress to lay out some
guideposts for gauging the effectiveness of the strategy. It is calling them
“metrics” instead of “benchmarks,” as they were called when the Bush
administration resisted formal restrictions on its war spending.

Unlike the repeated partisan clashes between the Bush administration and
Democratic leaders over war financing, the party’s leadership of the House and
Senate is now firmly behind the new Democratic administration. They say Mr.
Obama is fulfilling his pledge to draw down combat forces from Iraq and to
concentrate on Afghanistan as a harbor for terrorists.

“Afghanistan is where the terrorist threat exists to the world, not just the
United States,” said the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, who said the Bush
administration’s decision to focus on Iraq left unfinished a mission in
Afghanistan that originally had broad support in Congress.

Ms. Pelosi, Democrat of California, said she believed the administration had
assembled a strong program for Afghanistan, focused not just on a military
presence but also on civilian construction projects, enhanced intelligence
gathering and government improvements. She said any benchmarks would best be put
on the use of military aid to Pakistan.

Ms. Pelosi also said lawmakers wanted to make sure the Pakistan government used
“those resources in a way that is not just focused on the threat they fear from
India.”

Given Democratic opposition to such war spending bills in the past, Democrats
have regularly relied on strong support from Republicans to push the legislation
through.

But some Republicans have raised objections to the spending plan since the
administration is also seeking money to move ahead with its plans to close down
the detention facility at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and move those detainees
elsewhere. That position could give them some leverage on that issue if too many
Democrats break with the president over the money for Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The administration can probably rely on sufficient party support, but lawmakers
say the White House needs to do more persuading.

“I’m sure many members have concerns, and I am one of them,” said Representative
John Yarmuth, Democrat of Kentucky, “and are a little bit unclear as to what we
are trying to accomplish in Afghanistan.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/us/politics/24spend.html?ref=global-home