[Peace-discuss] Mean Streets (2) (David Sirota on Populism, too)

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 27 14:12:04 CDT 2009

How about adding a fetishism for private property?

My impression, having lived through WWII, is that the word implies
something very akin to the Italian state under Mussolini, with its
totalitarian character, dictatorship, jingoistic patriotism,
militarism, and the merger of state and corporate entities. And a lot
of the rest as described by Naomi Wolf.

Wolf is not defining fascism so such as describing a progression in
society  leading to it.

Others, like Orwell, say it's now used more or less as a dirty word,
like SOB.

--mkb