[Peace-discuss] Re: Obama of Kabul will have his battle on schedule this spring?

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Mon Apr 27 22:19:27 CDT 2009

	Patrick Cockburn: To achieve peace, we must
	break the Taliban's support base in Pakistan

Afghans wonder if we are really prepared to do anything effective about Pakistan

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Hamid Karzai, who played host to Gordon Brown in Kabul yesterday, will have been
delighted to hear the Prime Minister confirm the long-standing Afghan belief
that there can be no long-term success against the Taliban in southern
Afghanistan so long as they base themselves in Pakistan.

Afghan leaders blame the Taliban resurgence since 2006 on support from the ISI,
Pakistan's military intelligence, and the use of base areas in Pakistan to
regroup, train, and receive weapons and supplies. But Afghans wonder if the US,
Britain or their allies are really prepared to do anything effective about
Pakistan's support for the Taliban, which has been obvious since the 1990s.

The lockdown in Kabul ahead of Mr Brown's visit with checkpoints and road
closures was an illustration of the security problem which still plagues the
country.

The Afghan Army and police are also keen to make sure that Afghan Independence
Day passes off peacefully, in contrast to last year, when Taliban gunmen tried
to shoot the Afghan President during the ceremonies.

This year, suicide bombers have so far had more difficulty in penetrating
central Kabul, although there was one attack on the Justice Ministry and the the
Prisons Administration.

The most serious deterioration in security in the last year has been on the
roads leading from Kabul. "A year ago I was able to go to my village in Logar
province 60 miles south of Kabul, but now I would not dare go because the
Taliban would kill me for having links with the government," said one Afghan
journalist, who did not want his name published.

"Groups of six or eight Taliban, riding motorcycles, set up mobile checkpoints
and look for government employees or people connected with non-government
organisations. If they find them, they shoot them."

Despite Mr Brown's tough words, the ability of the Taliban to control or contest
almost all of southern Afghanistan outside the cities will be difficult to
reverse. Britain had 8,300 troops in Afghanistan, mostly in Helmand, and is
sending a further 700 for the elections in August. They will be reinforced by
more than 8,000 US Marines in the coming weeks, which are part of the extra
25,000 US soldiers that President Obama is sending to reinforce the 40,000
already in the country.

"We are confident that we are shouldering our share of the burden," Mr Brown said.

The only safe road out of Kabul is to the north, through the Salang tunnel,
eventually leading to Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. This route is likely to be used
increasingly for US and Nato supplies. which are being threatened by repeated
attacks on vehicles carrying them through Peshawar in Pakistan.

All other roads around the capital are permanently or intermittently under
Taliban control. The father of the Education Minister was recently kidnapped
when he went to attend a family funeral in his home province.

Officials travelling with Mr Brown said he is to unveil a new strategy similar
to that of President Obama, which will put emphasis on training police as well
as the army. The former, paid only £50 a month, are notoriously corrupt and
ineffective. The regular army has a much better reputation among Afghans but is
poorly equipped, its soldiers often driving thin skinned vehicles that are
highly vulnerable to bomb attacks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/patrick-cockburn-to-achieve-
peace-we-must-break-the-talibans-support-base-in-pakistan-1675192.html