[Peace-discuss] Swine Flu

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Apr 28 12:22:56 CDT 2009

You're right, Laurie.   The pigs got their A:H1N1 flu  bug from people
in 1918 during the great influenza epidemic, and pigs have had seasonal
influenza ever since, and it has become pig-adapted by passage among
pigs such that the A:Swine H1N1 only rarely infects people.  Pig have an
H3N2, and rare assortments of H1N2, H3N1.  But the H1N1 is the most
likely to affect people.  There are human H1N1 strains, and in the
United States, there are on the average 35 deaths from H1N1 influenza
every day, with wintertime peaks and summertime valleys in the rate.
The bird flu scare, which caused an epidemic migration of massive sums
of money from the balance sheets of the American people, has pretty much
run aground, and despite all of the squawking about it, the great Bird
Flu Epidemic never materialized, and the nest egg of research money for
bird flu has flown the coop.

Given our governments affinity for generating existential terror among
the masses, a new flu outbreak is just what the doctor ordered, and a
welcome shot in the arm for the research community that will be able to
fill their coffers.  It's another of those disasters that has to be
taken advantage of.

Its about time to stop slinging mud at the pigs.  And never do anything
mean to a pig.  They'll squeal on you every time.