[Peace-discuss] Why AWARE is needed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 29 16:48:42 CDT 2009

[This is from the front page of today's Daily Illini, and it's pathetic.  Would
it be different if the anti-war argument were presented vigorously on campus, or
in the community at large?  When people get their news from the N-G, the DI, and
the local TV stations, you can hardly blame them from being misled. But it's our
responsibility to challenge this nonsense, not reinforce it.  --CGE]

	UI sounds off on Obama's 100 days
	Jennifer Wheeler & Joanna Aguirre
	April 29th, 2009 - 1:00 AM

At his inauguration on Jan. 20, President Barack Obama said that "We meet at one
of those defining moments, a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in
turmoil and the American promise has been threatened once more," adding that the
governmental and political action taken in Washington and former presidency were
to blame.

But as he reaches his 100th day in office on Wednesday, local officials are
evaluating his tactics to improve the state of the nation.

Fred Giertz, professor of economics, said he believes this is a two-fold
economic issue.

"One of them is that there is a crisis within a financial sector and the other
is the recession," Giertz said. "Although they are closely related, the
financial sector entails more of the bailing out of financial institutions."

Giertz said his economic plan was the best action to take.

"I do believe a stimulus package was the right thing to do," he added. "There is
slightly less uncertainty of problems with the housing market and insurance.
There is also greater stability in the banking sector since last fall."

Still, not everyone is confident in Obama's initiative toward improving the economy.

Brian Gaines, professor of political science, said he believes the president's
ambitious attitude toward spending "may be for good or for evil ... we'll see."
He added that time is what holds the fate of the recession in regards to whether
his energy and health care programs will work.

"People who study this seriously with the public opinion data, who made a
speciality of the presidential approval, find it usually lasts about seven
months," Gaines said. "So I think he's got at least another 100 days in which a
lead criticism will be somewhat muted."

Another concern regarding Obama's presidency is foreign policy competency.

"He's not listening to generals," Christian Ramirez, sophomore in AHS and a
corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps. "They are experts of the military and he
should try not to take too much control."

He added that he fears Obama is making drastic decisions about the budget cuts
and military decisions that could result in negative outcomes.

However, Carol Leff, associate professor in political science, said these
changes are much ground to cover in a single leap. Specifically Leff referred to
the United States' relations with Cuba and new found traveling rights.

"Of course we don't know if that will pay off or not, but I think it's a
sensible thing to do considering we haven't had any success with our sanctions
policy over the years," Leff said.

Still, Giertz said it may be best to keep in mind that this is the first 100
days of a four-year term.

"We are really in uncharted territory, so the last 100 days aren't as much in
question as he next 100 days are," he said. "If everything works, he'll be a
hero. If it doesn't work, it will be frowned upon."

Nicole Burnier contributed to this report

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/campus/2009/04/29/ui-sounds-off-on-obamas-100-days