[Peace-discuss] (ICJPE) - Felony Trial of Anti-War Activist in Chicago

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 30 08:39:47 CDT 2009

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:11:45 -0500
From: ICJPE <admin_icjpe at npjep.org>
Subject: New Action (ICJPE) - Felony Trial of Anti-War Activist
To: admin_icjpe at npjep.org

ACTION NAME: Felony Trial of Anti-War Activist

DATES: May  05, 2009 through May  07, 2009

TIME: 3:00 pm

ORGANIZATION: Gay Liberation Network

MORE INFO: www.gayliberation.net

by Mayor Richard M. Daley, Cardinal George, and a coterie of wealthy businessmen
at the exclusive Union League Club.  Four anti-war activists, Jeff Pickert,
Kevin Clark and the Gay Liberation Networks's Buddy Bell and Andy Thayer, were
arrested during a protest as Bush was leaving the club.

In a bench trial Bell and Clark were found not guilty of disorderly conduct and
Pickert was found guilty and sentenced to supervision.  Thayer faces two felony
counts of aggravated battery on a police officer – a deputy commander of
Chicago's central business district.  If found guilty, he faces up to seven
years in prison and $25,000 fines.

This is a very political case, with top brass of the Chicago Police Department,
including the Deputy Commander of the Central Business District, targeting Andy
for ridiculous charges based upon his anti-war and anti-police brutality
activism.

Andy's jury trial begins at approximatey 3 PM [note the revised time], Tuesday,
May 5 in Judge Haberkorn's courtroom (Room 107) at the Cook County Courthouse,
5600 Old Orchard Road, Skokie.  "The Bush 4" co-defendants would greatly
appreciate your attendance at the trial.

Statement from "The Bush 4"

"It's a supreme irony that we find ourselves defendants in alleged crimes
against an officer who escorted (as opposed to arrested) President George W.
Bush. We have a president who is directly responsible for the deaths of over 1
million Iraqis, 10s of thousands of Afghanis, and thousands of Americans. This
president has deliberately broken laws against spying on Americans. In
authorizing torture, he has committed offenses recognized by Nuremburg as crimes
against humanity.

"Rather than impeaching and trying Bush for these serious crimes, the alleged
opposition in the Democratic leadership has participated in them. Rather than
shunning this war criminal, Mayor Daley has greeted Bush with open arms on
several occasions, eagerly lapping up Department of Homeland Security dollars
for his police and money to militarize Chicago's schools.

"We believe the felony charges leveled by Deputy Commander James Keating
against Andy are political retribution for his years' long organizing against
the civil liberties violations organized by Daley and his police. This use of
policing powers for political aims is a crass abuse of authority.
"Please show your opposition to the wars and the abuses of civil liberties that
come with wars.  Please attend the Tuesday, May 5th trial.  Finally, our deep
thanks to all those who have already helped fund our legal defense and supported
us in court."

-- The Bush 4 Defendants, Andy, Buddy, Kevin, and Jeff

Approximately $6000 is still needed for Andy's defense – anything you can give
is much appreciated. Checks can be made payable to "8th Day Center for Justice"
(write "Bush Protesters Legal Defense" in the memo section) and mail to:

8th Day Center For Justice
Attn: Bush Protesters Legal Defense
205 W. Monroe Street, 5th floor
Chicago, IL 60606

For background on the case, see:
http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display/80846/index.php,
http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display/81500/index.php and
http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display/83868/index.php

			To vote on the action, Please go to http://icjpe.org/_admin/vote/ , which
will require clicking LOGIN.
			            Be sure to forward word of this action to your members.

Note: Please do not reply to this email as it goes to an unmonitored account.

If you have any questions, please let us know [http://icjpe.org/contact/] .
						© 2006-2009 ICJPE [http://icjpe.org] . All rights reserved.