[Peace-discuss] How the AFL-CIO, Dems & Obama stopped the war...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:05:39 CDT 2009

[From an interview with Jerry Gordon, secretary of the National Assembly to End
the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars and Occupations, published today in Counterpunch
<http://www.counterpunch.org/jacobs04302009.html>. --CGE]

...Let’s go back to the largest action against the Iraq War which was held
September 24, 2005 in Washington D.C., which drew some 700,000 people.
Unfortunately, two things of a distinctly negative character happened in the
aftermath of that action.

One was the swing against mass action by big chunks of the movement, who
advocated electoral politics as the central strategy. The focus was on electing
a Democratic Party majority in both Houses of Congress as the way to end the
Iraq War. Well, the Democrats got control of both the Senate and House of
Representatives as a result of the 2006 elections but the war continued and even
escalated. And the Democrats continued voting to fund it.

The other negative development was the split in the antiwar movement. Instead of
parlaying the success of the 2005 mobilization, which was co-sponsored by United
for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) and the ANSWER Coalition, and concentrating on
organizing even larger united actions, the movement fractured, with UFPJ leaders
declaring they would have no further collaboration with ANSWER. This severely
weakened the movement and it remains a continuing and festering problem.

The current period has ushered in major developments that profoundly affect the
antiwar movement. The first, of course, is the very severe economic crisis. For
tens of millions of people in this country, the central issue today is survival.
Ending the wars and occupations is no loner the priority it once was, especially
since U.S. casualties are much less than they were in the previous period. Today
we are witnessing increasing numbers of protest actions against budget cuts,
denial of essential social services, assaults on workers’ living standard and
their right to organize and bargain collectively, mass unemployment, housing
foreclosures, lack of health care coverage, breakdown of the infrastructure,
environmental issues, etc. In short, American society faces a deep crisis of
epidemic proportions which grows worse by the day. The antiwar movement is
struggling to connect its issues to the fightback on other fronts and to
demonstrate its relevance by arguing, among other things, that the choice is
guns or butter, because we can’t have both. So our greatest challenge is to make
that connection and that is an ongoing process.

The other major development is the election of Barack Obama to the White House.
Elected as an antiwar candidate, Obama has already dashed the hopes of millions
by escalating in Afghanistan, which he continues to argue is the “good war,” and
by intensifying the drone bombings in Pakistan.  At the same time, he says he
will not pull out all U.S. troops from Iraq until 2011.That’s much too long for
many in the antiwar movement but since the casualties are down and the direction
appears to be to get out, large numbers are prepared to give Obama the benefit
of the doubt and no longer feel the same compulsion to take to the streets to
demand “Out Now!”

As long as Obama’s maintains his credibility and popularity in the conduct of
foreign policy, and as long as illusions persist that the Iraq War is winding
down and that the U.S. will indeed withdraw all of its forces, and as long as
the rationale for continuing the war against Afghanistan and Pakistan is not
challenged more assertively, the antiwar movement will not likely draw the kind
of crowds it did in the past. But everything changes and that will certainly be
the case here as the economic meltdown accelerates, the number of casualties in
Afghanistan climbs, and new flareups and conflicts erupt in Iraq. The National
Assembly believes that these and other developments will result in our antiwar
message resonating more broadly, as we proceed and persist in the struggle to
strengthen, rebuild and unite the antiwar movement...