[Peace-discuss] Fw: The Next 100 Days

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 30 14:16:54 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: UFPJ
To: unionyes at ameritech.net
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:33 PM
Subject: The Next 100 Days

Dear UFPJ member,

For sure, a lot will be determined in these next 100 days. And we, at UFPJ, are up for the challenge.

Soon, Congress will debate the next round of funding for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: $84 billion for war this year, most of which is for the military. Meanwhile, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continue unabated, one of which is broadening and spilling over into neighboring Pakistan. And let's not forget about the economic crisis.

Our work at UFPJ is cut out for us. It is time to re-double our efforts and set our own agenda for what needs to be done in the next 100 days.

That's why we're calling for $100 for 100 Days!  We're looking to up the ante on Iraq and Afghanistan and to become sustainable in the longer run during these challenging economic times. But we can only do so with your help.

And all of us need UFPJ if we're going to get a basic change in our foreign policy. A recent New York Times-CBS News poll found that close to 50% of people felt that Obama would not be able to end U.S. military involvement in Iraq during his first term, even though the timeline calls for all U.S. troops to leave by 2011. Just to highlight the reality, most people polled believe that U.S. foreign policy has not changed under the Obama administration.

UFPJ is pushing hard to change public attitudes towards the war (especially Afghanistan, where there has been widespread support for the escalation) and help our member groups engage the public in Congressional action.

Next month, UFPJ will call for a National Media Day of Action on Afghanistan on May 21. And we are also in the midst of a targeted Congressional campaign that aims at the war supplemental.

To continue to do this work, though, we need your commitment and your financial support. Please support us in this $100 for 100 Days. Your support will go a long way towards helping us carry on our work at a time when our work is needed now more than ever.

(If you can't give $100, please give what you can. Every dollar matters to our work.)

*** If you would like to unsubscribe from UFPJ's email list, please click here.