[Peace-discuss] Who wants war in Mideast?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 3 12:56:27 CDT 2009

	Qaeda tells Obama conditional truce offer stands
	Mon Aug 3, 9:05 am ET

DUBAI (Reuters) – Al Qaeda's second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahri said an offer
the militant group made to the previous U.S. administration of a conditional
truce is still on the table for President Barack Obama.

"If Obama wants to (reach) an understanding then he should respond to Sheikh
Osama (bin Laden's) two offers," Zawahri said in an interview with al Qaeda's
media arm As-sahab, posted on an Islamist website on Monday.

"Obama is trying to sell illusions to the ... weak," Zawahri said of Obama's
campaign to ease tension with Muslims increased by the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan. "He is trying to say do not hate us .... but we will continue to
kill you..."

Bin Laden said in 2006 "we do not mind offering a long-term truce based on just
conditions that we will stand by ... a truce which offers security and stability
and the rebuilding of Iraq and Afghanistan which war has destroyed."

The United States dismissed the offer, saying it "does not negotiate with
terrorists."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090803/wl_nm/us_qaeda_obama_offer