[Peace-discuss] Fw: Health Care

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 21:50:00 CDT 2009

Fyi...

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, David L. Noreen <d-noreen at illinois.edu> wrote:

Greetings,

     The last couple of years I've spent a considerable amount of time working with Canadian Director Rupert Macnee on a proposed documentary that we'd like to do either later this year or possibly next year. Just this week he forwarded me an email from a British friend of his, Martin Smith, who'd become somewhat distressed over some of the American misrepresentations of the British National Health Service that had become part of the US national health care debate. In the interest of encouraging truthful debate on an issue that's vital to us all, I've enclosed that forwarded email from Martin Smith below.

       - DLN

Subject: Twitters & Health Care in the USA

Dear American Friends,

The reports over here about the health care debate in the States are extremely depressing. Please send this, from today's London Guardian, to any of your friends who are wary of Obama's plans for health care in the USA.

And tell them, that they will still have the choice to buy all their health care privately if they want too - just like the Brits can.

All the best,
Martin
----
How Twitterers came to the defence of the NHS

When US Republicans attacked the NHS this week, its supporters used Twitter to fight back

    * Homa Khaleeli
    * The Guardian, Thursday 13 August 2009

After reports yesterday of the attacks made by US Republicans on the NHS, Twitter users grabbed their keyboards and mobiles to defend the health system. Critics in the US claimed that elderly people in the UK are left to die, and that the NHS put an "Orwellian" financial cap on the value on human life – in a bid to discredit Barack Obama's own healthcare reforms. Twitterers hit back, tweeting on the thread "#welovethenhs" to explain exactly why the NHS meant so much to them. Here are some examples:

@timlusher: The NHS is incredible in a medical emergency. They saved me when I had a brain abscess. It's worth every penny of our taxes.
@bird42: Because they got me safely through two pregnancies, and the one that didn't work out.
@LizzieCharlton: When my dad died after 2 weeks in ICU in multiorgan failure we weren't made bankrupt by the cost of his care.
@gailtwist: heartwarming stuff...saved my husband's, father's and son's lives within 6 months...great people.