[Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Aug 16 01:49:06 CDT 2009

First of all, you are your individual personal experience as an argument
against statements that are of a general statistical nature.  I never said
that all persons who have every lived in the U.S. displayed the traits; I
suggested that many if not a significant majority did - i.e., enough to
characterize the general attitudes and dispositions of the country since its
beginnings.  You are not going to tell me that most of the carpenters and
other laborers across the country throughout the years (1) have not been
racist, (2) have not been anti-immigrant, (3) have not been antagonistic to
those who do not conform to the established values and behaviors, (4) have
not been paranoid and anti gay, (5) have not displayed hate and violence
against those who opposed to WWI, WWII, the Korean Conflict, Viet Nam, Iraq,
etc., (7) have not been anti-communist cold warriors, or (8) that only a few
working class folks have exhibited such defects.

You are not arguing that you and your family are representative of the
majority of the American population or that the KKK never held sway in the
US and that it was not made up of mostly ordinary working class folks from
both rural and urban area. Are you arguing that the fundamentalist
Christians in this country are an abnormality, that the Salem witch trials
never took place. You certainly are not denying that the country with the
backing of a significant number of its population supported HUAC activities,
loyalty oaths, and engage in anti-communist witch hunts and discriminatory
practices or that they held anti-Semitic and anti-native American or
anti-Mexican or anti-Asian beliefs or engage in discriminatory practices
against them with respect to their place in both the community and in the
workplace or in education and health.

The phenomena is not just a lower class or a working class phenomena; the
middle and upper classes in the US have also displayed the attitudes,
beliefs, values, and behaviors that I am characterizing as the basic
American character.

As for my experiences, when I was a kid, I spent a lot of time living in the
black ghetto of Wilmington, De, and saw how that population lived and the
discrimination they suffered at the hands of the working class cops, middle
class shop keepers, insurance salesmen, and white working class, middle
class, and upper class slumlords.  I also was the a member of one of the
first Jewish families to break into an all Christian neighborhood where
covenants among the neighbors stipulated that they would not sell their
houses to blacks and Jews and use to have daily fist fights with the kids in
the neighborhood because I was Jewish and their folks told them that Jews
were bad and did this and that. Later, I would hear similar sorts of things
said in private about blacks, Catholics, poor folks, Asians, the Polish, the
Italians, the Irish, etc. by all the various respectable white middle class
and working class folks. I also noticed how those attitudes covertly found
their way into their behavior and the way the interacted with other people.
I realized how pervasive it really was and how it existed beneath the
surface despite a superstructure of tolerance, politeness, civility, etc.
My elementary and junior high school was formally and officially segregated
until Brown vs The board of Education which involved a Delaware case among
others.  After that case, the first two blacks attended my high school, I
befriended them and found that both they and I were treated by the other
students and the faculty like we were shit.  It took two years before said
attitudes started being masked by a superficial air of tolerance at the
surface; but the attitudes remained below the surface and discrimination
took on a less overt form against the black students.   I was forgiven and
accepted back into the fold but watche3d closely to make sure that I did not
get out of line again, which I did often and had to pay for.

I was also here in CU in the mid-1960 until 1970 and then off and on until I
moved back in 1979.  The community was in effect racially segregated and
racially charged as well as politically charged.  There not only was a
racial divide but also a town and gown divide as well as a generational
divide in the black community, in the local community, and in the University
community.  The attitudes, values, and behaviors I spoke of came out in the
open and were being expressed by members of all communities and by the
members of all the socio-economic classes in each of the communities.
Distrust and hatred ran wild in the streets.  Locals hated university types,
They also disliked people form out of town and out of state - especially
Easterners.  Unions and union members resisted allowing blacks into the
unions or to work on construction sites except as menial help.  The
university and its officials and staff generally not only supported racism
and ethnic discrimination by its unions and personnel; but it engaged in it
as well when it came to both staff and academic hiring, student admissions,
distribution of resources, and the like.

So in short, I reject your contention that your family and your personal
experiences are representative of the majority of Americans and that based
on those experiences that commentators like Dobbs, Beck, Hannity, et al lack
the support of a majority of Americans just as I reject the notion that a
majority of Americans did not support the Japanese removal to concentration
camps during WWII or immigration quotas that are lower for Asians and
Africans than for Western Europeans or the removal of native Americans from
their lands to reservations in out of the way locations generally alien to
them.