Fw: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 03:17:41 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM, unionyes <unionyes at ameritech.net> wrote:

Maybe I am an ignorant working class " simpleton " , but I have never had
> anything in common with these fascist hate mongers !
>
> Nor did my parents nor my grandparents !
>
> WE had black people as guests and friends in our home and I had black
> friends who came to my house for the day to play, during the period 1967 -
> 1972, when it was not a popular thing to do so, and my parents recevieved "
> snide and vicious " remarks from SOME of the neighbors ( not the majority ).
>
> My grandmother was a laundry Worker at the White Line Laundry ( corner of
> Neil and Daniel - most recently JBJ's ) during the 1930's and 40's, when
> half of the Workers there were poor whites ( mostly Irish ) and African
> Americans, who united and formed a Union and were arrested multiple times by
> the Champaign Police.
>
> I remember when I was 5- 8 years old ( 1962 - 1965 ) going to funerals for
> some of her Black co-workers on Norh 4th street at the funeral home that is
> still there, during a VERY racially charged time when most white people were
> afraid to travel north of University Ave, between the I.C. Railroad Tracks
> on the west, and Lincoln Ave. on the east, especially after sundown.
>
> I contend that the Becks, Limbaughs, Dobbs, and Hannitys do not have nor
> have they ever had ( going back to the 1930's with the fascist radio priest
> Father Coughlin ( sp. ) )  the support of the majority of Americans.
>
> David J.

Like Laurie, Dave, I suggest that yours was a rather unique upbringing,
certainly not the norm for a white boy growing up in the early 1960s.  I
grew up in a white working class neighborhood on the south side of Chicago
in the 1950s and 1960s.  There were NO blacks in the community where I
lived, period, and the "N" word was used as freely as any other word.  Not
only was racial prejudice and stereotyping rampant, but it wasn't until I
got to high school that I met boys of my own age who had actual thoughts
about current events, and talked about something other than sports.

Even in my high school, whose student body was about 30% black, there was
very little fraternizing between the black and white students.  The black
kids came from their neighborhood east of Vincennes Ave. and entered the HS
by the east door; the white kids came from the west and entered by the west
door.  We passed each other in the hallways, but that was about it.  It
wasn't until many years later that I learned anything of what life was like
for my black classmates.

We've ventured rather far afield from the original discussion of Lou Dobbs
and freedom of speech, but I agree with Laurie that racism, xenophobia, etc.
have a long history in America, and the right-wing talking heads have no
trouble finding an audience for their vicious views.

John Wason