[Peace-discuss] Liberal organization promotes AfPak killing

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 16 22:02:28 CDT 2009

Oil is certainly fungible, and the USG intends to control as much of it as it
can, all recent administrations agree.  Most of it is in the Mideast -- a region
understood since World War II to be the “most strategically important area of
the world,” “a stupendous source of strategic power, and one of the greatest
material prizes in world history” -- in the words of US State Department planners.

Apart from what one historian of the industry calls “profits beyond the dreams
of avarice,” which must flow in the right direction, control over two-thirds of
the world’s estimated hydrocarbon reserves – uniquely cheap and easy to exploit
– provides what Zbigniew Brzezinski recently called “critical leverage” over
European and Asian rivals, what George Kennan many years earlier had called
“veto power” over them.

These have been crucial policy concerns throughout the post-World War II period,
even more so in today’s evolving tripolar world, with its threat that Europe and
Asia might move towards greater independence, and worse, might be united: China
and the EU became each other’s major trading partners in 2004, joined by the
world’s second largest economy (Japan), and those tendencies are likely to
increase.  A firm hand on the spigot reduces these dangers.

Note that the critical issue is control, not access.  US policies towards the
Middle East were the same when it was a net exporter of oil, and remain the same
today when US intelligence projects that the US itself will rely on more stable
Atlantic Basin resources.  Policies would be likely to be about the same if the
US were to switch to renewable energy.  The need to control the “stupendous
source of strategic power” and to gain “profits beyond the dreams of avarice”
would remain.  Jockeying over Central Asia and pipeline routes reflects similar
concerns -- hence Afghanistan.

--CGE (mostly from Chomsky)