FW: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous ('murder music' as hate speech)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 16 22:23:29 CDT 2009

The issue was shutting up the middle-of-the-road common-tater Lou Dobbs because
he indulged in "hate speech."  I suggested that that was a false category,
conjured from identity politics (politics as etiquette, as someone has said).

The notion of "hate speech" seems constructed to get around the fact that the US
federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First
Amendment from restricting speech. In the uniquely free society of the US,
governments cannot punish the content of speech, subject to a few recognized
exceptions such as defamation and incitement to riot. Even in cases where speech
encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if
the threat of violence is imminent. This strict standard prevents prosecution of
many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent
opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial,
ethnic, or gender minorities.

Soi-disant liberals have tried to get around this standard by criminalizing
"hate speech" in various ways.  Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,
employers may sometimes be prosecuted for tolerating "hate speech" by their
employees, if that speech contributes to a broader pattern of harassment
resulting in a "hostile or offensive working environment" for other employees.

Similarly, both public and private educational institutions in the United States
have frequently been pressured to adopt rules prohibiting stigmatization on the
basis of attributes such as race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or
national origin. In the 1980s and 1990's, more than 350 public universities
adopted "speech codes" regulating discriminatory speech by faculty and students.

Happily, these codes have not fared well in the courts, where they are
frequently overturned as violations of the First Amendment. See, e.g., Doe v.
Michigan (1989), UWM Post v. Board of Regents of University of Wisconsin (1991),
Dambrot v. Central Michigan University (1995), Corry v. Stanford (1995).  --CGE