FW: FW: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:26:13 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>   No I am not kidding.  I am beginning to think that this conversation is
> becoming a waste of time.

Yes, because basically everyone agrees, but different people are talking
about different aspects of the issue.  You're talking past one another.

> You say if you were in charge of hiring and firing; but neither you, nor I
> nor anyone on this list is in charge of hiring and firing at CNN.  Secondly,
> even if you were in charge of hiring and firing, you probably would have to
> get approval from higher ups in the organization as well as the CNN lawyers
> before you could threaten to undertake such action or actually undertake ;
> even if that approval was given, there is nothing to prevent the higher ups
> from reversing the approval and decision or from the person fired from
> appealing to the higher ups or to the stock holders.

Ultimately it's all about money.  That's why boycotts, or the threat of
boycotts, is the only effective tool for purposes of getting rid of an
offensive broadcast "personality".  It has worked quite well very recently
in the case of Glenn Beck.  He's still on the air, but 10 or 12 major
companies have quit sponsoring his show, in response to public pressure.

 Somehow you seem to want to ignore  my point which was that there is a
> difference between making a demand and acting up it.  You can make the
> demand; but you cannot carry out its implementation which is beyond your
> control.  You can make demands on the organization and even boycott the
> organization for not meeting your demands; but you cannot force them to do
> so.

Everyone understands that, Laurie.  Or at least I would hope that they do.

As for the issue of censorship, when you make a demand that CNN stop Dobbs
> from broadcasting, you  may not  be directly censoring him (i.e., silencing
> him); but you are indirectly doing so  and are demanding that CNN censor
> Dobbs by firing him and denying him a national platform or by controlling
> what he can say.  It also comprises a double standard given that
> progressives and people on the left  have complained that they are in effect
> being censored by the corporate media because they are being denied a
> national platform while contending that  it is not censorship to do the same
> to Dobbs.

The proper distinction is between "state action" and private action,
Laurie.  The GOVERNMENT cannot constitutionally restrict or censor speech
based solely on its content.  But a privately-owned newspaper or radio or TV
station can decide whom it will PAY to publish or broadcast in its medium.
And that decision is based almost entirely on audience share and advertising
revenues - and on the ideology of its ownership, as well.  Huge difference.

>  At any rate, I am done discussing this topic since it is getting nowhere.

You and Jenifer are BOTH right, and Neil had it right way back near the
beginning of this thread.

John Wason