FW: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous ('murder music' as hate speech)

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:11:52 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

Jenifer--

> You seem to suggest that you were not "advocating the 'banning of free
> speech.'"
>
> On Wed Aug 12 you forwarded to the list
> >
> > ...It's time to get Lou Dobbs and his hate speech off the air.
> > ...CALL NOW AND DEMAND LOU DOBBS BE TAKEN OFF THE AIR
>
> Why isn't that "advocating the banning of [Lou Dobbs'] free speech"?
>
> Regards, CGE

Maybe you should look up "banning" in your Oxford English Dictionary, Carl.

If Jenifer was suggesting (as she was NOT) that we call our state
legislators and ask them to make it a criminal offense for a radio or TV
station or web site to broadcast the words of Lou Dobbs, that would be
"advocating the banning of free speech".

If, on the other hand, Jenifer was suggesting (as she was) that we contact
the media outlets who broadcast Lou Dobbs and make known our own private,
personal displeasure at the content of his speech and at anyone who would be
a party to such drivel, that is NOT "advocating the banning of free speech".

What deep-seated psychological complex makes you feel, Carl, that you must
ALWAYS have the last word?

John Wason