[Peace-discuss] Propaganda breakdown

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 17 19:03:20 CDT 2009

As newspapers seem to be on the verge of disappearing (hard copies at least, and
no loss), they seem occasionally -- perhaps out of a sense of desperation -- to
get something right.

An example: today's op-ed page of the NYT actually contains some helpful
articles: Paul Krugman on the forms of healthcare reform and Selig Harrison on
the politics of Afghanistan.  If we were having a reasonable political
discussion, much more would be said, particularly on the latter point.

The page also contains two articles on healthcare, one from the NYT's resident
right-winger (which is funny) and the other an American-journalism style
personal testimony.  (See Obama's speech today for other painful examples.)

Not much, I agree, and far short of what a discussion in a real democracy might
be, but not entirely locked up for those with wealth and power.  Or so I hope.

Take a look.  --CGE