[Peace-discuss] Dennis Kucinich's take on health care bill

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 19 22:27:22 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 08:05:27PM -0500, John W. wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> Brother Dennis is a bit more pragmatic than one might think from the
> > rhetorical flourish of this note. He is a signatory to the bloc of 60
> > House Democrats who have pledged to vote no in the House on any health
> > reform bill that does not include a robust public option. If the bloc
> > of 60 hold together, the public option is not dead.
>

> Why is that, Bob?  Aren't there over 400 representatives in the House?

I assume that means, if that many Democrats refuse to go along with a
no-public-option plan, they'd be joined by most of the Republicans in voting No,
so that the whole plan will fail in the House -- leaving the fight to be re-fought
another year.  That's bad, but abandoning even the public-plan route would
leave us with nothing to counterbalance the overwhelming power of the
insurance and pharma companies.